Requirements for St. John’s Parishioners
Because of the sanctity of the sacrament of Baptism and assuming that the child will be raised in the practice of the faith, preparation is required.
BEFORE THE BAPTISM OF YOUR CHILD:
1. Parents need to be registered and active parishioners for at least two months before attending a Baptism Seminar.
2. Parents are required to attend the Baptism Seminar at St. John’s, whether the child is to be baptized at another church or by another priest. They must attend the seminar at least one month before the Baptism (unless they have attended one within the past 24 months at St. John’s). A certificate of attendance is needed.
3. Parents select one or two Catholics in good standing with the Church and their parish church to serve as the child’s Godparent(s).
a. If you choose to have two Godparents/sponsors, one must be male and the other female.
b. Only a Catholic can be a Godparent sponsoring a child into the Catholic Church. As an exception, if the parents cannot designate a Catholic for this important role, one non-Catholic who is a baptized Christian can be a “Christian witness.” (Note: only the names of Godparents are included in the church’s official records.)
FOR ALL SPONSORS / GODPARENTS / CHRISTIAN WITNESSES
Role of Godparents
BEFORE THE BAPTISM:
1. Sponsors / Godparents must be practicing Catholics and in good standing. Therefore, we need the following:
a. A copy of his/her Baptism Certificate with all notations of sacraments received (Confirmation and marriage).
b. A letter from their pastor stating that he/she is in good standing and active in his/her parish church.
c. Written proof stating he/she has been to a Baptism Seminar (usually a certificate issued by the church where the seminar took place). If possible attend the Baptism Seminar with the parents.
3. “Christian Witnesses” need to provide the following:
a. Proof of Baptism.
b. Letter from their pastor stating they are in good standing and active in their church.
c. Proof of Baptism Seminar (usually a certificate issued by the church where the seminar took place).
NOTE: If you are going to have your child baptized at another church, you will need all of the above items, plus a letter from your pastor giving permission to have your baby baptized in another parish.
THESE PAPERS NEED TO BE TURNED IN TO DEACON JOHN NO LESS THAN ONE MONTH BEFORE THE BAPTISM.